Saturday, March 7, 2009

My First 24/7

Posted by Judi
When ODF did the first 24/7 Prayer event, I thought, "Sure, I can sign up for an hour, help fill up the calendar." I’d heard there would be creative prayer stations to help facilitate prayer and I also knew I could pray on my own. I figured I could do an hour. The first thing I noticed upon arriving was the black curtains hanging in the doorways. They told me right away that inside was a specialness to be preserved and protected. Once I entered the space, I was met with such a gentle, beautiful, soothing atmosphere I could almost hear the woosh of my soul’s exhale.

I had been in serious need of such tranquility but didn’t really know it until I entered. See, I had been doing a very distant dance with God for a couple years. Not the kind of dance on a dance floor but more like the kind in a boxing ring. Then came 24/7 and as my first evening progressed it seemed like God gently and lovingly took me by the arm, ushered me in, and said, "Shhh, now. Let’s just sit down here awhile where you can take some deep breaths. Relax... Let it all go.... And see how well I know you. Feel how much I love you. "

What my heart was so in need of was rest. The tranquil and creative environment of 24/7 was a conduit for Him to make His presence known and felt to my tired soul. I didn’t know how tired I was until God gave me rest in His presence at 24/7. I came back as many times as I could that week...and the next week as it was extended. I just couldn’t get enough of being there. "There" was God. Just being with Him. I let the prayer stations lead me to prayer on my many visits, but I also spent a lot of time just sort of peacefully blank.

Through 24/7, God had called me to find rest in His presence. And now, I am learning how to find it at home, too. Still, I always look forward to 24/7’s and Sacred Spaces because they are such good tools for shedding the everyday bustle and distractions that batter our souls. I’m really looking forward to this next 24/7.

No comments: